Thursday, June 30, 2022

Madrid

I had such an amazing time in Santiago and on the Camino, I really didn’t even want to go Madrid. But we had to catch our flight home, so here we go! 

Madrid turned out to be amazing in a whole different way. 😊

Marie and I had one and a half days to spend in Madrid, and we definitely made the most of it. We walked 13 miles the first day and 10 miles the next!  

Our favorite spot the first day was the Parque de El Retiro. It was such a lovely spot in the city. We saw a puppet show, street performers, a parade, and boaters. We also visited the Crystal Palace. 

We dined at a sidewalk cafe and had two meals, two drinks and two desserts for 42 euros. I said “look at us, Marie, we’re at a sidewalk cafe in Europe — this is what people dream of!” Including me. 😊

The next day was Sunday; we attended Mass at a historic church. We visited a few other churches downtown and were totally amazed by the Cathedral de la Almedena next to the palace. 

We also visited the Sofia Reina art museum. I loved riding the glass elevator and viewing an original Picasso. Our last museum of the day was the History Museum of Madrid, another amazing historic building. 

Madrid is a beautiful city, an unexpected treasure of this trip.

Reina Sofia

At the cathedral

Parque de El Retiro

Pope John Paul II

Me and Marie by the City Hall of Madrid

Ceiling at San Antonio de la Florida Chapel

Inside the Chapel

Glass elevator at the Reina Sofia

Inside the Cathedral

Museum of History

City Hall with the evening sky

Inside the Reina Sofia


Children’s books at the art museum 

The Cathedral by the palace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final thoughts on the Camino

 The Camino had been calling me for years, and I’m so very glad that I got to go. It was everything I had imagined and more. PAIN - My feet ...