Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Camino Day 2 - Vigo to Redondela

 14.2 miles

Today, I started my Camino with Beth, Lee, Marie, and Maggie (Beth and Lee’s daughter). After coffee and a snack at the hotel, we headed north to the Cathedral de Santa Maria de Vigo, which was really beautiful, then out to look for our first yellow arrow. Maggie spotted it, and we were off! The trail leaving Vigo is a city sidewalk mostly along the coastline, then we crossed a bridge to exit the city. 

The path to a Redondela started with a big hill! Maggie, Marie and I climbed the hills, while Beth and Lee took a slight alternate. Most of the route was a nature trail through a eucalyptus forest. The smell was heavenly! The only bummer today was that the only cafe between the two cities was closed, so that made for a long walking day. By late in the afternoon, we were feeling really hot and tired, so I suggested we pray the Rosary. By the time we were done, we could see Redondela. Hallelujah!

Our first stop was the local church. It was closed,  but we still had fun exploring the churchyard. The old wooden doors were massive, like what you would imagine for a castle. 

Across the street was a lovely cafe. Maggie ordered us each a tortilla and a Mixta for lunch -yum! We sat on the balcony and watched the other pilgrims.

This night we all stayed together in a nice apartment on the Main Street. Big surprise to us was the late night festival on the main street! Redondela was a cute little town with a lovely river and park along the Main Street; we would have enjoyed a longer stay.

Cathedral in Vigo

Bridge leaving Vigo

Marie and me

Most of our crew - me, Lee, Maggie, Marie

Church in Redondela

Time for Mixta! (Lime beer)

Camino life 

Camino marker

A painted fish on the path 

City garden, Redondela

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final thoughts on the Camino

 The Camino had been calling me for years, and I’m so very glad that I got to go. It was everything I had imagined and more. PAIN - My feet ...