Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Camino Day 3 - Redondela to Pontevedra

17.9 miles

Marie and I had a good day today walking together. We were ready first, so we left and found the trail just a block or so behind our apartment. There was light rain and forecast to rain all day. Luckily, it turned out to be just off and on rain, and never very heavy.

The day started with some pretty big hills, something we don't have in Florida. After an hour or so of walking, we reached Arcade and a nice cafe full of pilgrims. We got our stamp and some Americano coffees. It is wonderful how most places give you a little something extra, we had a little cake and tiny churro.

After more big hills and rain, we came to a gentleman offering drinks and small souvenirs for donativo (donation). We enjoyed chatting with him and another young German couple. Soon I realized my umbrella was not in my backpack pocket. :( The German guy said he saw a black umbrella about 800 meters back. I left Marie to continue the chat and went in search of the umbrella. Luckily, I did find it!

More hills, more rain, up a stony path, and we made it to Casa Furmin. Time for a Spanish tortilla! An egg and potato dish which is quite tasty and filling. Stopping to get refreshments and a stamp is my favorite part of our walks.

Ready for our last section of the day, we met two ladies from south Florida walking with a young woman from Germany. Meeting other pilgrims was a nice diversion on the way.

Before entering Pontevedra, the path splits. The right trail is shorter and follows the road. The left trail is a nature path that follows a stream. We chose the nature path, softer on the feet but very muddy from all the rain.

Near the end of the nature trail, I found a camping knife and picked it up. At the end of the trail, we met the young German couple again, resting on some big rocks. I asked if he had lost a knife, and it was his! They helped me find my umbrella, and I helped them find their knife.

Pontevedra is a medium-sized city, famous for its shell-shaped church, La Peregrina. We were able to visit and get a stamp. Later we went back to the big cathedral for Sunday Mass. We had a little dinner at an outdoor cafe next to the plaza and enjoyed watching the children feed the pigeons. So European!

Pontevedra cathedral
Roman bridge
Church of La Peregrina
Our rocky road
Murals under a bridge
Beautiful flowers in a doorway
Roadside shrine
Stick crosses and hearts on the fence
Coffee with a little extra, Arcade
Shell shrine
Yellow arrows - Camino, Blue arrows - Fatima
More paintings under a bridge
Church of La Peregrina, Pontevedra
Trailside stand for donativo
On our Way

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final thoughts on the Camino

 The Camino had been calling me for years, and I’m so very glad that I got to go. It was everything I had imagined and more. PAIN - My feet ...