Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Camino Day 5 - Caldes de Reis to Padron

16.2 miles

Today turned out to be a much better day. Thank you, Saint James, for watching over us peregrinos! 

The forecast was for rain all day, so no need to rush in the morning. I woke up at 9 a.m. Our room included a breakfast tray, so we started the day with hot coffee and a roll. Then time to walk! 

My feet were still hurting, so I wore my Teva sandals and took things very slow. I walked alone and my plan was to stop at every cafe and take my time. At my first stop, I enjoyed an Americano and tortilla for 2,80 euros! The back terrace was also the family’s backyard, and it was a lovely spot with a pool and flower garden. I met a group of four ladies from Texas, and I enjoyed chatting with them. 

Up a hill, I saw the Texas gals again, talking to the teacher of a preschool on the Camino. We got to meet some of the children, and they gave shells and postcards to write back to them. The teacher told us he had met his wife when she was a pilgrim on the Camino! Now they have two young children, who were in the class.

Most of the trail today was a wooded path, and I loved that. By late afternoon, the rest of my group caught up to me and we had a nice break together at a cafe. Then on to Padron! 

My feet were really tired, but we made it! I stopped by the cathedral for a stamp, then Marie and I checked into our private room at an albergue. They had a laundry area, so we were able to wash and dry all our clothes for 8 euros. We found a nice cafe and had Padron peppers for dinner. Yum!

Break time for a smoothie

Padron peppers

Don’t Stop Now

Me on the Way

Vineyards

My second breakfast, cafe con leche and a tortilla

This way to Santiago

The farms of Galicia

Cobblestone streets along the Way

Cross shrine on the Way

Yoli and her teacher

Rainbow fence on the Way

So many beautiful flowers

Hydrangeas in all colors

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final thoughts on the Camino

 The Camino had been calling me for years, and I’m so very glad that I got to go. It was everything I had imagined and more. PAIN - My feet ...